While on Maternity leave, I signed up to follow a few blogs related to living well, but frugally, and it really became a game for me. I did things like signing up for the Target card, to automatically save 5%. I bought things in bulk, directly from Amazon.com and got free shipping (like toilet paper, and diapers). I even started searching for and using coupons. It's really quite amazing how much you can save doing these things.
I wanted to share my finds from this week. I was able to save myself more than I spent, and everything I purchased, I needed. Yes, I had saved my coupons for a while, and yes, I had watched for sales on most of the items (a few I got lucky on) but when you start paying attention, it can become second nature.
Here's what I got, all for $44, Retail was around $100:
I went to three stores. Target, BedBath&Beyond, and Kohls.
- Olay Face Wash (2) $4.49 & $2.49 (Retail $4.99/ea)
- (On sale for $4.49/ea plus a $2 off coupon for one)
- Olay Body Wash (2) FREE (Retail $5.84/ea)
- (I had 2 buy 1 get 1 free coupons for Olay- I bought the face wash, and got two large body wash bottles FREE)
- Tide HE Detergent $10 (Retail $12.79)
- (On sale for $11, had a $1 off coupon)
- Tide Stain Release FREE (Retail 4.49)
- (I had a buy 1 get 1 free coupon for this item, when you purchase detergent)
- Dawn dish soap w/Olay $3 (Retail $4.79)
- (On sale for $4, had a $1 off coupon)
- 3-pack Carters bibs (2) $5 (Retail $17/ea)
- (I had a $10 off a $20 purchase coupon, plus the bibs were on sale for $9.99
- Christmas Snowglobe $0.41 (Retail $4.99)
- Because my coupon was $10 off $20, and the two bib sets were $9.99/ea, they rang up slightly lower than $20 (by $0.02) so I found a Christmas ornament for $0.49, and they discounted that 15%, so it was $0.41. Lucky me, it actually was personalized already with baby boy's name!)
- Kitchen Dish brush set $2.40 (Retail $2.99)
- Luna Bars (10) $7.90 (Retail $0.99/ea or $9.99)
- Johnson's baby wash $4.39 (Retail $5.49)
So, I saved $55, and spent just under $45. The retail value of these items, even at discounted prices was $100.
I bought a new shelf for our garage to organize my extras, and so that I can quickly see what we're out of.
What's your feeling on sales? Do you stock up on items? What's been your best bargain to date?