Pages

WELCOME!

Happy 2012!

Welcome, won't you stay a while? There's so much to do, and we hope to share it all with you this year. Design, crafts, frugal living... You'll find this and more at Design-Aholic!

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Tinsel Garland Trees

It's Thanksgiving in T-minus 4 days, but as like most of us, the Christmas bug has hit!  It's my favorite time of the year.  I wish it felt more like Christmas here in CA, but it's been rather warm, and no rain.  Boo.  So it's a bit harder to realize it's the season!

Anyway, I digress.  I found a few Christmas Tree cone projects out there in blogland, and really liked the idea!  I purchased two larger white cones, perfect to make trees... but it took a while to decide what I wanted to do!  I gathered pine cones, while in Tahoe last weekend, and had thought to make a pine cone tree, but decided against that for now.  While thrifting last week however, I found two gloriously sparkling tinsel garlands for $.99 each (one was 21' long, the other 15' long.  I used all but 1 ft of the 21' garland, and half of the 15' garland).  I woke up this morning realizing I FINALLY knew what I wanted to do!  Tinsel trees and glimmering bows on top!



Here's how I made them...

I purchased 2 cones at Michael's, 1 was nearly 24", and the other 17" tall.  I used a 40% off coupon on the larger one, so the two of them together were $16.  I also had purchased a roll of silver dotted, wire edged ribbon last week for 50% off, so it was $3 for the spool for 10 yards.  I gathered up my hot glue gun, and extra sticks.



 



I had to repair a crack in the larger cone, after already taking the first one I purchased back.  I just used some hot glue in the crack, and really smushed it together.  :)



 

Then, I started at the top of the cone, and wrapped my way down!  I glued about every 2nd wrapping to secure the rings.



 

After both were wrapped, I tied bows out of the silver ribbon, and glued the heck out of them to the top.  I may pin them later to make sure they stay.  :)





Fluff the tinsel garland, and display!  These quickly became one of my favorite projects... I was just staring, and staring, and...



Awww, this really helped get me in the spirit...  Now where's the Peppermint Hot Chocolate?!
Related Posts with Thumbnails