Pages

WELCOME!

Happy 2012!

Welcome, won't you stay a while? There's so much to do, and we hope to share it all with you this year. Design, crafts, frugal living... You'll find this and more at Design-Aholic!

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Mistletoe Misery

It's confirmed.  Well, at least if my nose, eyes, and throat are to tell me anything.

Yep.  I'm allergic to Mistletoe.



This is the second year we've had it in the house, because I love the idea!  (traditional... shocker)  But, I am now convinced it's true, that the mistletoe is the cause of my sniffling, sneezing, and watery eyes.

Either way, the nice family that we purchased our home from came by a few weeks ago and left some at the front door.  I finally hung it the other night when I worked and worked to prep for the Party we had Saturday.

Here's the quick and dirty way I prepped the mistletoe to hang for the holiday:

I used:
Thin gauge wire (from my bead/jewelry making stash)
Hot glue gun
Ribbon
And, well, mistletoe



First, I used the wire to wrap the two sprigs together.



I cut a smaller piece of the wire, and made an appropriate sized loop, and tucked the ends into the wrapped stems.

Even though it seemed sturdy, I just used the glue gun, and made sure it was secure (the plus side of that too is that the exposed wire wouldn't scratch the wall)

Then, I cut a velvet ribbon, and tied in a bow with long enough "legs" that it would hang down near the leaves.  I hot glued that on as well.



 

 

 

Then, Hang!




(Oh, please excuse the drywall ceilings.  We're about 1/2 the way through scraping the popcorn off the ceilings in here!  It wasn't until I hung the mistletoe that I realized it was going to draw people's eye UP to the ceiling.  No one seemed to mind though.  It'll just be fun to see holiday photos from this year looking like we're living in a construction zone!)

And, if you want to check out the rest of my Christmas Spaces, you should check the indoor spaces here, and my outdoor space here.

Am I the only one allergic to Mistletoe?  Good thing I'm not allergic to the kisses.  :)
Related Posts with Thumbnails