Pages

WELCOME!

Happy 2012!

Welcome, won't you stay a while? There's so much to do, and we hope to share it all with you this year. Design, crafts, frugal living... You'll find this and more at Design-Aholic!

Saturday, February 6, 2010

How Not to Re-cover a lampshade

Steps to learning how not to recover a lamp shade:


1.  Do not read, or follow any of the thousands of lamp recovering DIY tutorials (my personal faves are this one, this one, and this one).

2.  Do make sure you overlap your fabric too much on the underside.

3.  Also, make sure that you use so much hot glue that it's impossible to rip the fabric off without ruining the base shade.

OH, and don't take 18 million photos of the bad process.  It's just in bad taste.


Got it?  Are we all versed now in how not to re-cover a lampshade?  Good, lets get started with my version!

I did everything wrong, but what can I say- it was my very first lampshade recover-y project.  You can't always win (like I demonstrated in this recent storage box failure I had)

First, my lamp shade was tiny, but I measured out an inordinately large amount of fabric.  (Fabric that I loved, and had left over from this no-sew table runner.)  Because, as in the steps above, I did not follow #1.  Instead of rolling the lampshade on the fabric to get the right measurement, I instead sat it on top, and measured around the base. And the cut out the largest circle of fabric ever.


 


Second, I tried wrapping the fabric around, thinking I was being clever and coming up with a new technique!  no.  I cut a hole in the center of the fabric, and wrapped around the top first.  Just a whole bunch of excess fabric, and a lamp shade that only shines through the top half.  I creatively wrapped the loads of excess fabric in 3 pleats.

 

  

 


Third, I used so much hot glue during this first attempt to make a lamp shade cover that I can't pry it off, without fear of breaking through the already brittle plastic.  Remember, if I haven't already told you, this lamp also came from the thrift store originally.  But, it was $7.50, and a great style and size. (there I go, justifying again.)

 

  

 


Finished Shade:


So anyway.  This project is the disgrace of the new office.  Don't get me wrong.  I actually like it when the lamp isn't on.  But, whats a lamp that never gets used?  (sounds like the opening to a joke, but I don't have the punchline)  It's in there, with it's gloriously re-vamped satin black base (yes, I got rid of that brass!), but with a shade that looks like, well, crap with a capital C.  I'm conflicted.  Z said he liked the shade!  Was he saying that to be nice, or am I too picky?


You be the judge.  Here it is in action, in it's current state:

 

 

Lay it on me... give it to me straight... tell me the truth.  I think I've already made up my mind, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.  :)  Oh, and I'm hoping my second lampshade covering project turns out better.  So far, 50% of the way done, it is.  More on that later.

Thanks for all the birthday wishes yesterday.  You guys rock.  Like seriously, all of you!
Related Posts with Thumbnails