Pages

WELCOME!

Happy 2012!

Welcome, won't you stay a while? There's so much to do, and we hope to share it all with you this year. Design, crafts, frugal living... You'll find this and more at Design-Aholic!

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Mass-o-Glass

Sorry for no post yesterday!  *sad face*  I've been beat.  As in super duper tired.  Like, I went to bed at (or before!) 8:15 the last 7 days.

In fact, I haven't read a blog post in 3 days, which is like sacralidge.  :)  Ok, not that bad, but you get the idea!

Onto the good stuff...

As spring was approaching, and all those great vase fillers start to come out, I wanted to show you some easy and cheap-o glass displays you could MAKE.  I know, it seems contrary, but I like the FILLERS so much, that I needed more containers for all the good stuff!

I made the following items:
  • an apothecary jar
  • 2 glass hurricanes
  • 1 cake stand
  • 1 footed bowl

The ingredients are simple: some glass dishes, some glass candlesticks, and some E-6000 glue.  Oh, and an open window.  :)

First, you might have seen the glass hurricanes back around Christmas time.  These were as easy as the rest of them.  I found what were two tall perfectly cylindrical glasses at the dollar store, in the dish area.  Perfect for hurricanes, which of course I've seen others do before.  I then also picked up 2 glass candlesticks.  $4 for these.

 

 

All I did was add a ring of that stinky, smell glue to the rim of the candlestick, then carefully pushed the glass onto it.  The benefit of working with glass is that when you attach them together, you can see through and make sure that things are perfectly lined up!

 

 


Then, leave somewhere to dry for a few hours (I think you're supposed to leave it for 24 hours?  I did for some, but not all)

For the cake stand and the footed bowl, I simply picked up a glass bowl and a decorative glass plate, also at the dollar store, and followed the same process from above.  The bowl was great at Christmastime, because I displayed the christmas crayons I made for the kids in them!  And now, I have a cute little nest with blue egg soaps for spring!



(If you're interested in that key artwork I made, you can go HERE for the project link!)

 

 

Regarding the apothecary jar, I found the base jar at a thrift store for $1.99.  I just added a glass candlestick to the underside, and voila! $2.99 apothecary jar!

 

 

Now, how ironic is it that most of the jars are empty?!  That's because I'll show you later how I filled them all.  Oh, and where I put them all.  :)


I miss you all, and will hope to be back full force again in a few days!
Hope you're all doing well-
Related Posts with Thumbnails